Writing Outlook for 2011 - Part Three

At one time many writers were considered eccentric solitary creatures, hidden way from society pecking away at a keyboard, pouring his or her heart and soul onto blank pages. It’s this somewhat romantic image I envisioned when I decided to take my passion for creating stories to the next level. My first novel, The Lodge, came to life while living in a small cabin with no telephone or television, surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery on earth. With no distractions it was easy to let my mind wander and the creativity flow. I’ve learned a lot since that initial book and have grown as a writer, but the most important thing I’ve learned over the years is that writing a great book isn’t everything--it’s only the first step. There can be no hiding out in remote mountain cabins and letting the work sell itself. The author is no longer just an artist, joyfully expressing one’s creativity. In order to succeed the writer must become a publicist, marketing guru, social media expert, sales person and business professional. A lucky few will have someone to help guide them through the ever-changing process, the rest must quickly educate themselves in the many facets of being an author in the twenty-first century.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Book Readers

Summer Lovin’ Blog Hop

Free ebook and Fascinating Author